Keeping Me in Stitches

Monday, April 09, 2007

I'm back!!!....however briefly

Boston was fantastic (except for the supposed "limo tour" of the city....our limo driver wasn't from the area and had no clue where anything was)! And the conference was actually interesting!

The one place we actually got to stop and see was Cheers!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sorry to anyone that may have been waiting for me at one of the yarn shops on Tuesday. Our flight was delayed for almost 5 hours at Chicago and we had no time to do anything that afternoon. We did venture out on Wednesday to Newbury Street and visited two yarn stores. Of course we were walking, but it was raining/snowing/sleeting the whole time we were outside and ended up looking like we'd just gotten out a shower fully-clothed.

The first store was Knit and Needlepoint. I wasn't too impressed with the customer service here. As the four of us walked in (looking like drowned rats) the lady behind the counter just gave us a look that said "What the hell do you think you're doing in here". She didn't greet us or as us how we were doing or how she could help us or anything. I did end up buying some yarn that they dye at the shop and then she actually started talking to me, but I was tempted to just turn around and walk out. I've had people tell me that it's just the east-coast mentality, but whatever happened to common curtesy?

Next stop was a couple blocks down and on the opposite side of the street. Newbury Yarns is a fantastic little shop tucked away at the back of a building, but not hard to find at all. I went in and met Meg who it turns out is an LnV listener, but isn't on the messageboards or anything. I bought way too much sock yarn (notice that the counter didn't reset because vacation yarn doesn't count) and had such a different experience there that I was wishing we could have stayed to just sit and knit.

Another day of the conference and we were ready to head out. Two and a half days of knitting during the conference yielded the second sock of the RPMs for my mom. Here's the finished pair.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The flight's home were uneventful beside a couple of delays. And the view out the window was great!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mom had finished the Inside Out socks for me as well.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And the pup-pups had fun running around my backyard over the weekend and got very very tired out.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And I think that's it! I've got to work the next two nights and then I'm leaving Wednesday for Virginia Beach. Planning on hitting historic Williamsburg and meeting a bunch of my friend Sarah's film school friends. I've already found a couple of yarn stores and I know Sarah's planning on a lot of shopping (especially shoe shopping) while I'm out there. Lots and lots of pics when I get home next week!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger dragon knitter said…

    the socks are cool, both sets! while i was waiting in line for the yarn harlot, the lady behind me was using her monsoon to knit pomotami. i think i like monsoon in that pattern! maybe they'll carry that colorway as a regular color next year (like they did last year's colorways, lol). me likee!

    have a safe trip to virginia!

    did they yell NORM!when you walked into cheers?

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger amanda j said…

    Lovely socks! Did you get the Cheers song stuck in your head? It is in mine most days for some reason. (By the way, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the L&V episode with you on it! What fun!!)

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger puck said…

    i am glad you had a good trip, that bad attitude you got in the first yarn shop is NOT east coast mentality...she was just a bitch!
    were you surprised that the cheers in boston (bull & finch) looks nothing like the tv one inside?
    i can't wait to hear all about your trip.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home