Keeping Me in Stitches

Monday, December 10, 2007

a work rant

I'm a reasonable person. I know that I work in a service industry that requires me to work holidays. Fine. As my contract stands, I have to work every other holiday. Thanksgiving was my holiday this year. Christmas is not, but according to my place of employment, Christmas Eve is not the holiday.

I haven't been home for Christmas the last 3 years. My parents have always had to come to Omaha because I usually end up having to work Christmas Eve when it's not my holiday.

So this year, in September, I counted ahead in my schedule and saw that the way my work days are, I could go home the weekend before Christmas, ask for the 4 hours off (the 7 pm to 11 pm shift) Christmas Eve, then have 3 more days off until I had to be back for working the weekend.

And I was denied. There is no one for me to switch with and to add insult to injury, they didn't just schedule me 7-11, they put me on for 3-11. I would make the 5th nurse on this shift. Grrr....

....then this weekend I see a sign at work from the lady who does the schdule saying that they're going to be short this Friday for night shift and they need people to pick up. So I figured I'd offer a deal. I'll work the 12 on Friday if she let's me off my 8 on Christmas Eve.

Denied again!

So I'm just a little ticked off at the moment and I'm feeling the plague coming on that will definetely take me out of commission on the 24th.

And I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense to anyone, but I had to get this off my chest and I just came off working 3 12-hour shifts. Off to bed with me now.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Mikki said…

    You could hang out with my floor, it's guaranteed to give you the plague of your choice. We've go the creeping crud or the stomach bug, whichever flavor suits you. Word of warning, the creeping crud requires ABX to kick, even if you wait 10-14 days to try to kick it yourself.

    I understand completely. I made the mistake of saying I would work 'any/all' holidays. Guess who's working T-Day, Xmas, and New Years.

    And they won't let me knit at work. It doesn't look professional.

    I vote for the woozies, you know when you just don't feel right and think you may be contagious. Enjoy your holiday

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger pia said…

    oh man... that sucks... while I'm blessed with government work hours, my dad was a cop and my bestest friend is a nurse... I think feeling ill is your ticket out.

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to offer you hugs!

    I'm so sorry that all of those options were denied, they seem very reasonable to me! :(

    I am "blessed" with a 24/7 job, but it allows me family time, heck that's ALL it allows! ;)

    I hear the sheep flu is going around, the only cure is family time and knitting.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Chelsea the Yarngeek said…

    I wonder if your scheduler knows it is unwise to anger the people that may one day save his/her life... Perhaps you should make it a point to sneeze on his/her phone/pen/desk.

    Having to work holidays is the pits! I hope you have a good holiday despite the evil intentions of said scheduler. Perhaps cookies should be sent your way...

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger cindy said…

    Being a nurse also I feel your pain. I have to work Christmas eve also so we can moan together. Maybe you could go to your parents and getted snowed in there so you couldn't make it to work on Christmas Eve.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Nederlass said…

    Aw crap! That is so lame, I'm sorry!
    I vote for getting snowed in too. Having the plague during the holidays is no fun either...

    HUG!

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Mia said…

    well I would check and see if any of the married nurses that normally would be working with you were able to get the time off. And if they were, find out when they requested this. Because if it was after you requested and were denied, it is a violation of federal law.

    But I can see that you are looking a little green around the edges already. Wouldn't want the patients to pick up that nasty crud thatyou have would you>

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Michelle B said…

    GRR what a pain in the arse! I have it when work pulls crap like that! My neice is a nurse and has had problems like that too! Ugh! I hope you are feeling better by the 25th! :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home