Keeping Me in Stitches

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pulling a 360

I don't know if I ever wrote about it, but when I first started knitting socks, I did them from the toe up. There was so much appeal to this! Since I've got size 11 feet, I could knit until I ran out of yarn and not worry about running out before the socks were complete! Unfortunately, the pattern I chose (one from Elann.com that I can't even remember the name of) had a short-row heel. I've got a freakishly high instep that I have inherited from my mom, so the short-row heel posed a *big* problem. Still, I slogged my way through two pairs of socks (one in Koigu KPPPM and one in Knitpicks), neither of which will fit my foot without a major wrestling match.

Then I switched to cuff-down socks. Amazingly, I have yet to run out of yarn knitting from the cuff-down. It's been close a couple of times, but I've managed to make it through. The closest episode was a pair of Dublin Bay socks out of the old put-up of STR lightweight. Finished with 10 feet to spare and I was freaking out through that whole toe.

Well, I have now come the full 360. I am taking a Toe-Up Socks for the Stubborn class at Sock Summit in a couple weeks. Homework was to get a sock done halfway up the foot to be ready to do a gusseted heel turn. And I am happy to report that I have a toe. One sock toe out of Flat Feet by Conjoined Creations. We'll have to see how it goes....

3 Comments:

  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Mikki Rhodes-Gloor said…

    Once you figure them out, toe up gussetted heels are nothing short of a miracle, and oh-so-comfy. I converted recently, too. Just have to get hubby to follow on the trend.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Tini said…

    I just made a pair of coriolis socks from Cat Bordhis sock book and I'm so in love with them. The fit is the best I've ever had in socks and I just wished the yarn was looking nicer ;)

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love the title of this blog post! Looking forward to hearing about your workshop!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home