Keeping Me in Stitches

Friday, March 24, 2006

I feel the need to vent...

I would really really love it if everyone involved in making it possible for me to buy a house could just sit down in one place with me present and tell me everything, everything I need to know. What stuff needs to be done by when, what needs to be signed and turned in, where I need to meet people...on and on.

To start at the beginning, I got a call from the bank last week saying they needed my two paystubs again because the end date had been cut off the first ones I gave them, and they needed my college diploma, and I needed to bring them proof of homeowners and flood insurance because according to them my house is in a flood plain and they can't give me a loan unless I've got flood insurance. That was last Thursday, before I worked the weekend. So today, after working the weekend and Tuesday night and last night, I headed to my insurance agent to cancel my renters insurance and get the other two. My agent tells me that I can't have proof of homeowners today because he's got to the house and take pictures. And they can't give me flood insurance without the elevation certificate even though they know that FEMA messed up and the house isn't in a flood plain and yet my bank is making me get flood insurance to get my loan.

So I go to the bank to give the lady what I do have and tell her what's going on. She's on lunch break, so I've got to wait half an hour for her to get back. In the meantime, I'm going over some disclosure papers that the actual lending firm sent me, but they didn't tell me what to do with them. So I'm merrily signing and initialing away since I assume I'll have to turn them in. Lady comes back from lunch, tells me that the payslips I've printed out with the dates intact might not work because there isn't evidence of what website I got them from. Ok, I'm at 22 hours awake at this point and not happy and about *this* close to tears. I plop this huge sheaf of disclosure statements on the desk to ask her some questions on pages I hadn't signed because I was so fuzzy. And she said "Oh, you don't have to turn those in. They're for your personal files." Grrrr. At this point I do breakdown, just because I'm so sick of not being told anything. And I've got tears streaming down my face just because I'm so tired and I'm blubbering and trying to tell the lady about the insurance part and she's about as sympathetic as a piece of toast....actually....the toast might have been one up on her. So I grabbed my stuff and walked out telling her I'd be back when I'd had some sleep and gotten answers.

Came home, called my agent and she didn't know where the elevation certificate was either, but wanted to set a time for the final walkthrough and closure. So we did that.

Did I mention that we're exactly one week from closing?!?! Would have been nice to be given the heads-up on this back in March when I first bid on the house.

And if you've made it to the end of this, you deserve a cookie. I don't have any, but I've got puppy pictures! She's my mom's new poodle that I picked up from the breeder this morning and she's adorable. No name yet....I'm waiting for Mom to see the pictures I sent and tell me what to call her.
Image hosting by Photobucket

2 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger dragon knitter said…

    you have to make arrangements to get meter readings for oppd & mud. also wouldn't hurt to get started on phone/cable/internet. but since you've got a little time, those aren't imperative. ummmm, making sure any down payment checks are made out properly (i think it actually has to go to the title company, but verify that. it's been almost 2 years, lol). ummmmm, lemme think, lol.

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Alcariel said…

    I think everything's been straightened out. My agent is wonderful, especially since I bugger her about 6 times yesterday while I was at more than 26 hours awake. I know about the stuff for switching utilities. That's one thing my agent has been pounding into me....just need to do it.

    And the puppy finally has a name....Toffee. She's adorable, but a real whiner when I put her in her box and it's not helping me to get the 12+ hours of sleep I need to be getting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home