Keeping Me in Stitches

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

a dilemma

I've got a little dilemma (a good one) on my hands, but at the moment it's more than my tired brain can handle. So on that I'm going to tell you all and let the advice/thoughts/general blabber come flying in.

I'm thinking about taking a different job.

Here's the deal. Ever since nursing school, I've wanted to work in pediatrics. This last weekend, one of my coworkers came up to me and told me that the peds unit at one of the other hospitals in the system is looking for experienced nurses to hire. They've got two job openings on nights right now.

The good:
-My co-worker's friend that told her about the job originally offered it to her, but said that anyone she could recommend would probably get the job. This friend just needs to know a name so she can put in a good word with her boss.
- I'd get to stay on nights and keep the current pay that I have (takes care of those pesky house payments).
-It's a closed unit that's divided into 3 or 4 sections. So I'd never have to float out of peds. I may have to work between the PICU, NICU, and the regular peds floor, but it's all peds.
-It's still in Omaha. Only about another 10 minutes further away than my current hospital I work at (and only about a 5 minute drive from SoP!).

The bad:
-I don't know if they'd let me keep my current schedule of every third weekend with my Wednesdays off for church stuff.
-My current boss is going to freak if I decide to leave. (Not a big issue, but she has stopped others on my floor from transferring to a different floor. I'm hoping that by going to another hospital she won't have as much sway.)
-Not sure if it's a full-time job. The nurse that told me about it said it is, but looking at the decription online, one is for 32 hours/week and the other is for 24 hours/week. I currently work 36.
-I'm finally getting settled from the major upheaval of moving into a new house. Not sure that I want another huge stressor in my life this soon.

Maybe I'm just overreacting because I'm tired. And I can't really discuss this with any of the other nurses at work because I don't want it getting back to my boss that I'm looking for another job. When this has happened with other people I've seen her make their remaining time there hell. So I need just some general job-switching advice.

I'm off to spin/knit/destress.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger dragon knitter said…

    i'll tell you the same thing everyone else was telling you. follow your heart. find out if it's full time, and if so, do waht feels right. don't let that person influence your decision. you can't live your life in fear (or any reasonable facsimile).

    you missed the goofeyness. becky was telling robin that they should do a cast on/cast off class. i looked at sarah (she still hasn't popped yet, 100% effaced, but no more dilation), and said "cast on, cast off" while making the same motions they did in karate kid. everybody died, except miriam (she'd never seen the movie, lol) becky even went to tell robin, she thought it was so funny.

    and then i ahd to do my dana carvey imitation of george bush & the church lady (could it be. . . . SATAN?)

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger dragon knitter said…

    i do have a question for ya. i was at immanuel this afternoon, and i heard them call "code 10". can you tell me what that means?

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Alcariel said…

    Code 10 is an out of control patient.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger dragon knitter said…

    well, it sounds like they got him/her under control relatively quickly, because 5 minutes after they announced it, they called all clear/ cancel/whatever. i won't be there thursday, my MIL is having a garage sale, and we have to go over there and help haul stuff up (and she's letting me sell some of mys tuff, yippee!). i'll be back next week

     

Post a Comment

<< Home